[NTLK] hacks, kraks, SN

Goodwin, Greg P. GoodwinG at aafes.com
Tue Jan 19 08:24:49 EST 2010

From: Andrei Chichak

On 2010-January-18, at 2:32 AM, Moshe Waisberg wrote:

> Isn't there some "statute of limitations" on software? i.e. that after some
> period of time a piece of software is no longer copyrighted?
>

>From the date of creation/publication to 50-70 years after the death of the author.

Not authoritative but you don't have to hire an IP lawyer to tell you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

That's the authoritative state of copyrights.  They did the work, made the programming happen.  In the case of movies they hired and paid for the actors, paid for the scripts, yadda yadda.  No one but them can claim that.

So no one has the right to make money off it during that time because they shelled out the money to make it happen in the first place.

That said, I also like to think that people who do a movie, a program, write a book, would like the book remembered and enjoyed.

My approach to this is that such things should be shared without profit to keep the legacy alive.

When the writer or owner cares again, at that point there will still be an active group of people still interested in the product, and when they offer professional copies again for sell, people are first off more likely to know the existence of the product,  and two more likely to buy that product.

    .    .   Doctor Clu  (member of...)
    )\,,/    THE PRISON BOARD BBS  972-329-0781 / telnet://rdfig.net
   /(- _O)   Fido/Dovenet Messages, Games, chat, newsgroup & Mail
  ( \____ )  Old School Computer BBS list (X at main then A or C)