[NTLK] Fwd: Apple Confirms January 27th Media Event

Ryan Vetter physicalconstants at yahoo.ca
Tue Jan 19 17:41:48 EST 2010

On the stylus...

I just did some graphic design work last night using Pixelmater.  I was using a Wacom tablet with a MacBook Air.

Overall pretty good experience.  Could I replace the stylus with a mouse?  No way.  You just can't sketch on a computer with a mouse like you can with a stylus.  Thus, for graphic design, if Apple manages to build in stylus functionality, it will make the Tablet that much more of a runaway hit.

But this will imply either an advanced stylus designed for use with an LCD screen, or a hybrid screen that won't scratch from stylus input.

Unfortunately, it's not near as good using a stylus for graphic design hovering over a surface.  It's the ability to anchor the stylus on a hard surface, and press even harder, that stabilizes it, to allow the user to draw freehand.  Anything else just results in substandard results.

At the least though, this Tablet will allow for finger painting.  Come on Apple, give us a new and improved paint program!