[NTLK] Fitaly keyboard is free CORRECTION

Sonny Hung sonnyhung at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 21:57:50 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM, James Wages <james at kiramek.com> wrote:

> If it is still considered freeware but it is no longer possible to contact
> the family of the now deceased developer, I would then put forth the
> question: is there a way for the Newton community (i.e., software engineers
> among us) to reverse-engineer and serialize Fitaly keyboard?

Dear James and the list members,

All I can say is that I have contacted the deceased Developer's wife
regarding this matter.
I was hoping that it could be resolved in a way that would make it easier on
them and us users regarding the registration key for the Fitaly software.
Here are the following items I was able to discuss with her in person on the
phone so there is no mistake regarding the status of the software.

1) REGISTRATION: The Newton version of the software was kindly offered to
the Newton Community for use at no cost to us. It only required a request
being sent to them with the needed information to generate the registration
key.

2) SOURCE CODE: I inquired about the releasing of the software and the
underlying issue is that this software and it's copyrighted code is actually
is current production for various platforms still (in various applications)
and so the source would not be allowable to be released to the Newton
Community for tinkering to make it not require a registration key. However
the actual source code location and access to it are questionable at best
from my lengthy discussion with her due to the storage medium used to
archive/back it up.

3) REGISTRATION CREATION: I am informed by her that the registration
application is located on only one standalone computer (likely a PC) in her
deceased husband's office. It is the only computer which can create the
registration keys. She is the one that creates the keys. I have inquired
about the release of the application so that they would not have to be
bothered by Newton Users inquiring about registration keys. She did not
expect much volume for the Fitaly software. Last I spoke to her last year
she was heading out to vacation with her son whom is the one who she
defaults to in regards to my suggestion to release the registration
application to the Newton Community. Since there was not further discussion
since with her about this I have no idea if this is still a possible
solution.

I will again try to contact her directly on the phone regarding this matter
again. Hopefully my schedule will slow down some to accommodate a lengthy
discussion with her and possibly with her son whom seems to be the one that
can make the decision on this matter.

If you are still waiting for a reply back for a registration key request. I
suggest you try again via email. If that does not work call her directly.
She is accessible and very nice so please watch your P's and Q' and cross
your T's and especially be nice as I've already what I can and any negative
interaction could backfire. My worse scenario is that they retract this
offer and we are out of access to get registration keys for the Newton.

I think that another options is to request permission to modify the
application to not require a registration key. If we get permission then we
would need an individual or individuals who would be willing to do so.

I hope this answers any questions to the status of this application.

And James, I understand that you have been patient for 9 months by your
count. Just consider that this is nothing in the wake of a possible
retraction of this offer and then you and anyone else after you would not
have the possibility of getting this application at all.

God bless,

Sonny Hung
the Hung Family