[NTLK] h*cks, kr*ks, SN

Tony Kan tonykan at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jan 20 02:12:57 EST 2010

OK, following on from my earlier email:

[snip]
So if you are going to use a piece of software without adhering to laws or
contracts, admit that your actions are criminal and stop rationalizing and
making excuses for your behavior. Some people live their lives without regard
for others, that's their choice whether they're anarchists, criminals, or
sociopaths (there probably others, but these three will do). Our actions define
us, not our words, rationalizations, or intents.
[snip]

In fact the law even provides that under certain circumstances no legal
copyright protection is given at all.

For example, consider the "fair use" doctrine which is a part of US copyright
law under s107 of the US Code
(http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107).

A discussion of s107 can be found here:
http://myapplenewton.blogspot.com/2009/02/is-it-legal-to-scan-books-and-convert.
html

Could "fair use" be considered "noninfringing uses?"  Does "fair use" allow
copyright protection systems to be circumvented?

HTH

Tony Kan
Christchurch
New Zealand