[NTLK] Newton for note-taking?

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 02:39:49 EST 2010

~~~ On 2010/01/21 06:55, Eric Jones at doriath22 at msn.com wrote ~~~

> I've thought up a justification for plunking down some cash on a 2100 +
> keyboard. Namely... I'm currently going back to school and switching careers
> rather dramatically -I'm going to be a watchmaker. While a lot of the class is
> practical, there's a lot of theory involved as well, and I've often wished I
> could use a laptop to get it down quicker. The only problem with that is that
> there's often little sketches and whatnot, and so I really couldn't go
> paperless. Tonight, it suddenly hit me... if I had a Newt with a keyboard,
> that would solve my problems in one fell swoop, I think. (Yes, you can say I'm
> slow... being a member of a Newton list and not thinking of this --but truly,
> I use my iPod Touch for most PIM things, and my faithful old Newtons (MP100,
> 110, 120, and 130) have been relegated to museum-exhibit status. I never had a
> keyboard for any of them, so it didn't even occur to me....)
> Anyway, do you fine folks reckon that an MP2000/2100 would work for text +
> graphical note-taking? I'd get an eMate, but quite honestly I think the
> styling is a bit horrific...
> I know I used to print things from my MP130 with an old Stylewriter printer I
> had, can the Newt be made to print to a modern printer? (If not, I think I
> still have that one... it's in another state though but that can be remedied.)
> Thoughts?

Eric,

I'm a relative late-comer to Newtons (first one in 2005) and I kick myself
every time I think of doing without it all the years before then.  My
regular work tasks mean that I couldn't manage now without my Newts.

For certain, if I were to return to studies I'd be taking a Newt.

So far I've dodged the bullet on the vexed issue of printing those notes out
on a modern printer.  I had two StyleWriters, one at home and one in my
office, but they died within 24 hours of each other and resisted all efforts
to fix them, and I started to panic.  Two days later I walked into a local
charity shop and they had a StyleWriter 1200 for sale for £10!  I pulled out
my wallet so fast I created a shock wave.  So far it's working like a Rolls
Royce.

I understand that if there is a way to successfully move Notes onto a
computer and then print them on a modern printer.  I hope to learn how to do
that soon -- **before** this current StyleWriter goes the way of the others.

I sure could do with a proper service manual for StyleWriters until then...

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4