[NTLK] Thoughts on Impending Apple announcement

Frank Lowney frank.lowney at gcsu.edu
Sun Jan 24 17:47:20 EST 2010

On Jan 24, 2010, at 4:51 PM, Doug Parker wrote:

> My SWAG prediction for Apple's big day:
>
> Apple will finally announce an end to the
> no-Flash-on-the-iPhone dilemma, either by
> blessing a faster, leaner version of what's
> already available, or they'll announce a
> new standard that has the small footprint
> Steve has been calling for, and supports
> the existing Flash content.
>
> Doug

I’ll side with a new (open) standard.  Google, Mozilla and Apple are in basic agreement that HTML 5, CSS 3, SVG and Javascript are preferable to and can replace Flash in all or most cases.  It’s not just Flash that they are against.  They are deprecating all web browser plug-in architectures.  That  would include Silverlight and the QuickTime Plug-in (as distinguished from QuickTime itself) as well as Flash.  Unsurprisingly, Microsoft is supporting only some of this.

Dr. Frank Lowney  Georgia College & State University
    Senior Director for External Projects
       and Assistant to the Director, Digital Innovation Group @ Georgia College
    Web Enabled Resources,
    GCSU Library and Instructional Technology Center
    E-Mail: frank.lowney at gcsu.edu -- frank.lowney at me.com
    Professional Pages: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~flowney
Voice: (478) 445-5260
NOTICE: Please be advised that I am hearing impaired and communicate most effectively via e-mail.  Follow-up summaries of telephone conversations by e-mail are most appreciated.
We don't make instruction effective, we make effective instruction more accessible.