[NTLK] ipad

Eric Jones doriath22 at msn.com
Wed Jan 27 17:01:09 EST 2010

This thing looks like a glorified iPod Touch to me. My first thought is "that's it?" However, it is bigger, which means it's quite likely that it won't have huge adoption. That was my initial assessment, anyway.
However, I suspect Apple's aiming at the emerging "ebook reader" market, here. They see that the Kindle is starting to become popular, a bit, that M$ and other companies are starting to release their own tablet/ebook devices, and so they decided to release an iPod Touch/iPhone ebook reader, to take the market by storm as it develops and blow the competition away early. They may well succeed in this, with the many features this offers, and the attractive pricing. (And people expect Apple products to be a little more expensive, too.) The bluetooth/wireless keyboard compatibility and the promised availability of the iWork suite make this particularly appealing. This could really take off and become something of an all-in-one device, replacing the MP3 player, the PDA, the eBook reader, the ultralight notebook computer, *and* perhaps the cellphone, in one fell swoop. And I think it'll do a credible job with all of them, except perhaps the cellphone, due to the form factor. Time will tell.
I shan't be buying one, but if I hadn't bought a new iPod Touch a few months ago, I would be sorely tempted.