[NTLK] ipad

Joel M. Sciamma joel at inventors-emporium.co.uk
Wed Jan 27 21:13:18 EST 2010

Ryan wrote:

> This is 'the' device that we all saw in computer concept videos from
> long-time past.

No, it isn't. If it had been controlled conventionally with a mouse or
a trackpad you wouldn't be saying things like this about what is a
very conventional machine, albeit with a much nicer interface.

It's still an old-fashioned, application-centric, document model, with
no multitasking, no document management, no intelligent assistance,
restricted connectivity and no HWR for when you are standing up.
Holding the machine with one hand and pecking at an on-screen keyboard
with the other is a pretty pathetic alternative.

What it does beautifully is bring a whole new audience of potential
computer users into Apple's sights with a device that does most of
things they want to do in a sleek, easy to use, easy to learn package.
That is the achievement. In terms of the underlying model of what the
computer does for you, nothing has changed. Actually very little has
fundamentally changed in the last 25 years I have been staring at the
Mac other than the Newton, which had it survived would have really
moved us to a better place by now, far beyond what the iPad currently
is.

What will be interesting to see is what this presages for the now very
tired Mac OS.

As developers port their wares to the iPad, does this build a code
base and experience for the introduction of similar interfaces for the
Mac? It would make the transition a lot easier for Apple and its
developers in two or three years time.

How long can Apple defend the laptops and desktops by consciously
constraining the capabilities of the touch products?

They will have calculated the effect that finally giving these devices
an external keyboard will have on the lower-end MacBooks and decided
some cannibalism was worth it before someone else did it for them.

How will new model iPads change in size and capability in their
overlap with laptops. All very interesting.

I like the iPod Touch and the iPhone a lot for what they are but I
don't have either of them because they don't do anything I need. The
iPad is pretty much the same, beautiful, clever and well targeted it
may be but I can think of no good reason to use one over the kit I
already have - I'm just not the right audience for something this
restricted.

Joel.