[NTLK] iPad

Matej Horvat redjazz_slo at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 28 08:09:44 EST 2010

> It's still an old-fashioned, application-centric, document model, with
> no multitasking, no document management, no intelligent assistance,
> restricted connectivity and no HWR for when you are standing up.
> Holding the machine with one hand and pecking at an on-screen keyboard
> with the other is a pretty pathetic alternative.

Agreed. It's just a giant iPod touch, with the same old ugly clicky Home button. It also doesn't seem comfortable to hold either, and I would actually prefer it to be a bit heavier and thicker, so it would be easier to grip.

The on-screen keyboard is also crippled. Looks like they didn't realize that typists like to keep their fingers on the keys when they're not pressing them. It doesn't seem great for games either (same problem - gamers like to keep their fingers on the buttons). The screen also seems too bright for reading books.

It also doesn't seem to have a global Newton/Spotlight-like search feature. And can it send information to another iPad through thin air?

And the name... the "i" prefix was a good idea in 1998, but now it's lame and cliché.

-Matej Horvat