[NTLK] hello iPad

J.S. Hohner jshohner at telus.net
Thu Jan 28 15:40:23 EST 2010

Sorry about the over the top tone of my post. What can I say? I was
excited :-)

My post was part of an email to a friend who wasn't able to follow
the announcement, hence the product summary. As such it wasn't really
appropriate for the list. I posted it because of the comments I
included about the Newton.

Yes, I've used a Newton. No, I don't work for Apple. Yes, I've seen
the Knowledge Navigator video.

The real point of my post was that the iPad strikes me as a
reincarnation of the Newton. In a way. A worthy replacement. True,
it's emphasis on media is different that the Newt's emphasis on
productivity. (And true, there is no Intelligent Assistant å lá the
KN. Now that we have the iPad, however, someone can write one :P)
Nonetheless, the spirit behind the two devices is similar. They are
both highly portable, tightly integrated suites of tools designed to
manage large volumes of information and facilitate everyday tasks as
effortlessly as possible.

I also wrote the piece to thank Steve Jobs for shepherding such a
remarkable tool into existence. I think the iPad sums up his entire
life's work. I hope it isn't a final summation and that he continues
to produce insanely great products for many years, but I worry that
he persevered through his illness just to give the world this
product. I wanted to say, 'Bravo, time to sit back and crank some
Dylan.'

I'm sorry I didn't write to these points directly and specifically
for the list. I was running out the door and wanted to share while
the announcement was fresh.

Cheers,
Jeff

Duo 210, Mini Dock, Bondi iMac, PBG3, MP2000, G4 Cube (maxed), iPad
(soon)