[NTLK] Will this work on my MP2100?

Forrest Buffenmyer anasazi4st at me.com
Fri Jan 29 15:01:02 EST 2010

On Friday, January 29, 2010, at 12:44PM, "Lord Groundhog" <LordGroundhog at gmail.com> wrote:
>Here¹s my question:  if I back up my main Newton onto my computer (OSX and
>NCX), and rename the clone machine to be the same as my main Newton, will it
>work if I then connect up the clone machine and tell NCX to backup onto the
>clone, the same way as it would work if I connected my main Newt?   Or will
>NCX be using for some other form of ID for the machine?

I've done what I think you're describing...in NCX it will have two files, a backup of the heap and one of any memory card you've got in there. The first thing I did was to create two folders on my Mac, for my two Newton MP2100s...Original and Second, or something like that. When you do a backup, move the new file(s) to whichever machine's folder that you've backed up. Then, in NCX, just point the Destination file to whichever you want to restore from, or create a new backup for. Previous backups are stored in a folder that's named as such (sorry, not near my Mac right now)...I have that as a subfolder in each.

Most times it seems to go well...sometimes, though, NCX on the Mac will complete the operation, but it still shows it's processing on the Newt. If you disconnect and restart the Newt (the only way to get out of the process), and look at the Mac copy (or if you've restored that Newt), everything seems to be there, and it all works okay.

--Forrest