[NTLK] ipad

Mark Rollins mark at mrollins.com
Fri Jan 29 18:16:34 EST 2010

First it's funny how there are I think 2 camps here - either you hate or like (or sorta like) the iPad; if it had handwriting RXN more would love it.

One thing I will say is if you are not familiar with the depth and breadth of the Apps, I'd check it out. Yes, for every fart App there are some great drawing, painting, genealogy, Bible, game Apps, you can even port a FileMaker database with FMTouch. There are some real amazing ones as well. FourTrack is a 4-track recording studio, JotNot is a great document scanner, StarMapPro is an unparalleled planetarium, SketchBook from Autodesk is mini Illustrator; there's even Deep Green for chess (yes, THAT Deep Green) and Catamount's (yes, THAT Catamount) PocketMoney is great for accounting, and Scrabble rules.

In some ways I don't mind the lack of a camera, as I'd prefer to use a better camera and use the iPad as a conduit to upload/email the photo (I WISH the iPhone had this feature).

Also, if you want backgrounding now, jailbreak your iPhone and install Backgrounder. If you want the Palm Pre's cute App-switching, install ProSwitcher. If you want to go nuts and have a rounded-cornered screen, install WindowPlaner.