[NTLK] iPad

Ryan Vetter physicalconstants at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 29 18:25:40 EST 2010

Hi:

Like you, I have thought a great deal about this, as some of you may already know.  This is a new generation of personal computing... that is what the iPad is ushering in.  The iPhone was a first step in this direction.  Device specifications, old file systems, mice and keyboards... they are fading.

The "pop ups" seems like the future.  That is, there is no real file system on the iPad.  When you start analyzing its layered pop ups, this is an intelligent, context sensitive OS.  Do you really need a file system when you can just browse a highly organized list in a pop up once you are in that application?  Not really.  If Mail has some file system pop up for sending files, that would complete the circle.

This is all about context sensitive, focused applications and multi-touch.  Apple really understands how we work.  We become focused on a particular 'theme', like photo editing, making a presentation, etc.  This device helps us to focus even more.  Instead of viewing some large, unwieldly desktop that is really cluttered and unfocussed, it gives us just what we want when doing a particular task.  This is really exciting.  An analogy is this: instead of going to Costco for paperclips, you go to Grand and Toy.  Grand and Toy is much more focussed on the theme of your visit.  More efficient, easier...

I'm not saying that the iPad, it's OS, is going to replace modern operating systems, but it is a step in the right direction.  I can tell you this though, there are things I can see that I would much rather use the iPad than my laptop or desktop.  For example, I would much rather create and edit a Keynote presentation on the iPad than on a laptop or Desktop.  That goes for editing photos, browsing the web, reading PDFs and eBooks... and, maybe even editing Pages documents.  That is incredible.