[NTLK] Matt's bag

Jim Lee jimlee at centurytel.net
Sat Jan 30 02:26:02 EST 2010

On Jan 29, 2010, at 7:50 AM, Oliver Leaman wrote:

> You must have a pretty big bag! What I guess we all would like is one
> device that could do all these things. [...]

Um, no - not all of us.

I, for one, believe in the Unix philosophy - make small, single-
purpose tools that do one thing, and do it well.  Connect these small
tools together to do more complex tasks.

I want:

1. A phone that's just a phone.  It could have a bluetooth modem built
in, but that's it.

2. A camera that's just a camera.  No cell phone camera ever made is
worth discussing.

3. A gaming machine that's just a gaming machine.  The DS is fine for
this.  I don't play games on my computer or laptop or phone.

4. A GPS that's just a GPS.  I don't always need or want anything else
when I'm hiking, or camping, or just driving to an unknown location to
pick something up.  Why take a chance on dropping an all-in-one-
expensive-do-everything-machine into a river?

5. A media player that's just a media player.  The iPod Classic works
great for me - just load it up with songs, podcasts and movies and I'm
good to go for months.  If I want a "bigger" experience, I just plug
it into the nearest TV.

6.  A  computing device that does everything else.  Ok, technically
speaking, this violates my philosophy, but a computer (in the
traditional sense) is a general purpose device.  However, it too
should be limited in scope.  I don't want to take pictures or talk or
play games or navigate on my computer - there are better devices for
that.  I'd rather not spend my money on duplicate or superfluous
functionality that would be better spent on RAM, CPU, screen
technology, battery technology, and ergonomics.

If all these things were incorporated into a single device, I'd be
dead in the water if I dropped it, if the battery pooped out, or if it
was stolen.  The hardware is not upgradeable unless I upgrade
everything in one shot.  I would rather pick and choose the
functionality that fits the way *I* work and play than settle for all
the engineering and marketing tradeoffs made for a single device, by a
single company.

Having said all that, the iPad could possibly function as a
replacement for my media player, but nothing more.  I'm not sure I
want to give up the portability of my iPod.

-Jim