[NTLK] AA NiMH Rechargeables

Jim Lee jimlee at centurytel.net
Sat Jan 30 02:57:43 EST 2010

On Jan 29, 2010, at 1:57 PM, Bradley Loeding wrote:

> Anyone have good things to say about these fairly new low-self
> discharge hybrid NiMH batteries? For example Sanyo has a brand called
> Eneloop. How many days of average use can one expect to get with these
> in a MP2x00?
>
> -Brad

I use Sanyo Eneloops in my DSLRs, as well as the Newton(s), and every
other device I have that takes AA's or AAA's.  I can't praise them
highly enough, though you should use an intelligent charger to charge
them.  I use the LaCrosse BC-9009.  Most discussions I've seen about
hybrid batteries list LaCrosse as the cream of the crop.  It really
helps to prolong the life of the cells over a simple heat-sensing or
(worse) timer-based charger.  It works by monitoring and charging each
cell *individually* (up to 4 at a time), not by putting 2 or 4 cells
in parallel, as all other types of chargers do.  You can do real
damage (with other chargers) by trying to charge unequally discharged
cells. I can't remember what I paid for the LaCrosse, but it was
certainly less than $50 USD.

The Duracell "pre-charged" NiMH batteries are just re-badged Sanyo
Eneloops.  Make sure you buy the package that says made in Japan, not
made in China or anywhere else.  Only the Japan-made ones are Eneloops
and of high enough quality.   Another good brand is Ray-O-Vac Hybrid.

The two advantages to these batteries are:

1. Low self discharge - they can retain >80% of their charge after a
year of sitting on the shelf.

2. Flat terminal voltage, even under load, until they are completely
discharged.  This is particularly important for my DSLRS, as it gives
them faster focusing speed.

And to answer your original question, the ones I have are 2650 mA/Hr,
so you can calculate based on your own usage.  I get about 2 weeks or
so on my MP2100, more on the MP130, and I use the backlight heavily.
The advantage is that I can carry a pre-charged set of spares and
never worry that they're flat from just sitting around too long.

-Jim