[NTLK] iPad questions

Scott Rogers srogers at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 01:54:47 EST 2010

Right.  There are heaps of apps that allow us to create and manipulate
files.  I'm not being as clear as I need to, so I apologize.  What I'm
trying to say is that the iPod/iPhone OS does not allow the user to
have any control over where those files are saved, nor does it allow
us to interact with them as files.  I'm suggesting that in the future,
the OS may allow us to do this without the need for other apps.  This
is the frontier, really: if you abstract the file system away, how do
you deal with the creation of content that might be opened in multiple
apps (e.g. RTFs or spreadsheets)?

In many ways, this is a very *Newton* question, since the Newt did the
same thing.  Perhaps content created on the iPad will simply be stored
in that shared folder, and so when it's connected to a compy, you can
just copy it over.  That would work.  But I'd really like to see it
just hook into the cloud, somehow.  Or, more precisely, I'd like for
cloud storage apps to be able to hook into the OS's file storage
capabilities.

Cheers