[NTLK] Y2010 Fix Idea

Matt Howe matthowe at comcast.net
Sun Jan 31 22:43:13 EST 2010

How about an extension that just adjusts the time by the fixed amount that
the 2010 fix uses? Place that in the boot sequence. Or am I being overly
simplistic?

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
SantaMatt at Gmail.com (Nokia N770)
matthowe at comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/
http://SantaMatt.blogspot.com

Grant Hutchinson wrote:
<snip>
>> If a reset occurs, and this extension is loaded first, it checks
>> and compares the Newton's time against the last saved time. If
>> there is a multi-year difference, it set's the date and time to the
>> last saved date and time... maybe even add a minute for the loss of
>> time During reset.
>
> That should definitely work, and I was thinking about adding that
> workaround to the patches. Fixing the function which is actually
> causing the time to be reset looks hard, it is called very early in
> the boot process, and it is not in the patchable area.

Here's another possibility ...

I used to use a utility called NetTime [1,2], which polled a time
server to auto-correct the Newton's clock. NetTime only works with
older RFC 868 protocol time servers [3] and apparent no longer works
after the Y2010 patch has been installed. According to Borja Robles's
post [4] on Tony Kan's 'My Apple Newton' blog, attempting to connect
to an RFC 868 server (such as ntp2.usno.navy.mil) results in a "Remote
time outside range" error.
<snip>