[NTLK] Manybooks.net is interesting

SteveCraft steve at craftsathome.net
Wed Jun 2 16:26:39 EDT 2010

I have many things that I'd like to do and tried to make myself a "cookbook"
for getting the books in. Target is an eMate with 4mb RAM and no additional
storage. Due to the number of pkgs I want(ed) to make, I thought I could do
something like this (using Windoze):

1. Scan images as jpg
2. Edit/crop images to a specified size
3. Convert all to grayscale with imagemagick
4. Paste all into a Word 2007 doc
5. Annotate with Times Roman 14 font (usually the kids book is one picture
with text underneath).
6. Copy-paste into Press
7. Make pkg
8. Load into eMate

While I am OK with (2) taking manual work, it seemed that I could never get
(3) correct and there was no way to know it would be garbage until I got to
(6) and sometimes (8).

And there are books I wanted to use on my 2100 - lots and lots of text,
maybe a few images sprinkled in there for showoff capability. But the images
would always take up the whole visible screen area, eg I could not get text
to flow around images (or even let them keep their intended size). I don't
want to use NTK or do any scripting, I just the minimal work to make stuff
load.

I never did Newtscape (which I bought over a year ago now) so maybe that is
the proper move....