[NTLK] Serial GPS & Newton as Speedometer?

Matt Howe matthowe at comcast.net
Wed Jun 9 16:15:41 EDT 2010

The Garmin Fortrex line works well with the Newton. And there are several
good serial teletype data displays. I have tried and used on occasion, GPS
Monitor, GPS View and TeleTypeGPS, all available from UNNA. Although it
requires map building, my favorite was GPSMapLt also available from UNNA.
The only thing I did to connect the GPS to my 2100 was to use an old 9 pin
Newton cable (this one was from J&K Sales and had a built in dongle)
connected through an old sync cable for a Royal planner. But basically it is
a mini stereo phono to Newton serial and just needs xmit, recv and ground.
Set the serial spec to use Xon and Xoff if you feel the need for traffic
control. Hope this helps.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
SantaMatt at Gmail.com (Nokia N770)
matthowe at comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/
http://SantaMatt.blogspot.com

Morgan Aldridge wrote:
<snip>
It's been a while since I researched GPS on the Newton. Does anyone
know what serial GPSes work well and whether any of them support
specifying which NMEA sentences get sent (since it'd be more efficient
to only receive the 'VTG' sentences)?
<snip>