[NTLK] Who here thinks the iPad is a worthy replacement for the Newton?
tech_ed at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 17:35:01 EST 2010
The functionality that makes the Newton a "Newt" are:
2) Intelligent handwriting interpretation (this is different given that any device can accept and translate handwriting, yet very few can make intelligent decisions based on prior corrections made by the user)
3) Package intelligence. The ability for applications to use and understand other apps' data
4) Newton Intelligence. The ability for the Newton to interpret the intent of the user's statement, such as "meet with John Smith for lunch day after tomorrow". I guess this would be the "assist" function
5) Intuitive gestures. Everyone knows to scratch out something you don't want. The hold/drag to the side is so obvious, I find myself doing it with my pen and paper! The insert, combine and capitalization gestures are also obvious!
6) Not being out-dated within 2-5 years!
Until a hand held device can do *ALL* of these things, not some, or one or two, but *ALL*...I will not get rid of my Newton.
By Galactic God in Futurama
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
--- On Fri, 3/12/10, G Y <gyounk at mac512.com> wrote:
From: G Y <gyounk at mac512.com>
Subject: [NTLK] Who here thinks the iPad is a worthy replacement for the Newton?
To: newtontalk at newtontalk.net
Date: Friday, March 12, 2010, 5:14 PM
I do even though the iPad does not have handwriting recognition. This is the main feature of the Newton MessagePad series I loved, especially the delayed ink into text later option. I think Apple could of included this but decided not to for ??? reason. I know there are a few handwriting recognition notes apps for the iPhone / iPod Touch as an alternative. Most likely they will be ported to the iPad's larger screen dimensions.
Other than that we have all of the basic Newton apps (from the MP 100 and up). Plus the Web browser, mail and word processor from the MP 2000/2100. (not the exact apps but the functionality.) That is why I feel the iPad is a worthy replacement for the Newton MessagePad.
The Mac 512
The NewtonTalk Mailing List - http://newtontalk.net/
The Official Newton FAQ - http://splorp.com/newton/faq/
The Newton Glossary - http://splorp.com/newton/glossary/
WikiWikiNewt - http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/
More information about the NewtonTalk