[NTLK] Who here thinks the iPad is a worthy replacement for the Newton?

Ed Kummel tech_ed at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 17:35:01 EST 2010

The functionality that makes the Newton a "Newt" are:
1) Handwriting
2) Intelligent handwriting interpretation (this is different given that any device can accept and translate handwriting, yet very few can make intelligent decisions based on prior corrections made by the user)
3) Package intelligence. The ability for applications to use and understand other apps' data
4) Newton Intelligence. The ability for the Newton to interpret the intent of the user's statement, such as "meet with John Smith for lunch day after tomorrow". I guess this would be the "assist" function
5) Intuitive gestures. Everyone knows to scratch out something you don't want. The hold/drag to the side is so obvious, I find myself doing it with my pen and paper! The insert, combine and capitalization gestures are also obvious!
6) Not being out-dated within 2-5 years!
Until a hand held device can do *ALL* of these things, not some, or one or two, but *ALL*...I will not get rid of my Newton.
Ed
web/gadget guru

By Galactic God in Futurama

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."