[NTLK] To give away - Macintosh Portable

Doug Denby ddenby at rogers.com
Wed May 5 19:16:17 EDT 2010

Apple ][, yep, an Apple ][, not an Apple ][+ or //e. I had a leatherette style zippered case for that. I carried that all of the place, along with a small television, and of course the appropriate cabling. No battery, just looked for an open receptacle. No hard drive, just a portable audio cassette player, and a small box of cassettes with the programs, and long term storage.

Even had a voice recognition program, that I could download from cassette, and used a homemade circuit for a microphone that I plugged into the game port.

Also had very cumbersome light pen that worked through the game port as well. You held the pen up to the screen and pushed a button. A light bar quickly descended the screen the scrolled across the screen. The pen detected the light and the software calculated the screen x and y locations and passed the data to another subroutine that detected what button was at the location and did the appropriate action. Neat. Long before mice.

If I had been smart I would have had one of those pieces of luggage with the wheels, but then I was a nerd, not smart.

Doug