[NTLK] newton dock password

Paul Guyot pguyot at kallisys.net
Sat May 8 16:09:06 EDT 2010

> On May 5, 2010, at 2:36 PM, Moshe Waisberg wrote:
>
>> Is there any documentation on the password encryption for docking protocol?
>> I think the algorithm is DES.
>> But is it DES/ECB or DES/CBC?
>> Specifics would be nice to know.
>
> Here's a Ruby implementation:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/rdcl/browser/trunk/utils/des.rb
>
> The C++ implementation I derived this from is somewhere hidden here:
>
> http://newton-dcl.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/newton-dcl/DCL/
>
> This might be useful once you have things working:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/rdcl/wiki/Specifications
>
> Eckhart

The actual C++ source code can be found here:
http://klibs.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/klibs/K/K/Crypto/

The Newton doesn't use standard DES. The difference can be found in UDES::CreateKey function, i.e. in key scheduling. Indeed, this function has a special argument to generate the key according to the Newton implementation (or according to the standard). I believe they meant to implement standard DES, but failed to do so and since the same source code was used on the Newton, on the Mac and on Windows, they never realized or realized too late about this bug.

Paul
--
Semiocast                    http://semiocast.com/
+33.175000290 - 62 bis rue Gay-Lussac, 75005 Paris