[NTLK] Serial Port repair or replacement?

Woody Smith woodysmith at me.com
Sat Oct 23 01:56:54 EDT 2010

I suspect yours was the experience I recalled.

Woody

On Oct 22, 2010, at 11:26 PM, Ed Kummel <tech_ed at yahoo.com> wrote:

*ANY* repair to a pushed in interconnect port will be temporary at best. After years of using my Newt with a Newton keyboard, the interconnect port pushed it. In a previous life I was a solder jockey with some really sweet soldering tools, so naturally, I attempted a repair. The interconnect port is plastic that has two "bumps" that force fit into two indentations on the MoBo and held in place with a soldered strap. If your interconnect port is pushed in, then most likely the little bumps on the port are sheared off and will no longer accurately position the port over the solder pads. And to make matters worse, there is very little space to work in that area.
After I affected repairs, the interconnect port worked properly for several months. But as expected, the stress of daily insertion and removal of of the keyboard plug, it failed again.
This time, it had pulled up the solder pads from the Mobo and was no longer able to be repaired...so my only recourse was to install a ser-001 card (which brought it's own problems...)
And really, this is the only reliable way to repair this problem.

Ed
web/gadget guru

"...I'm riding a horse!"

Isaiah Mustafa from the Old Spice commercials!