[NTLK] I'm new to Newton emate purchased on ebay (Cosmo Kain)

Woody Smith woodysmith at comcast.net
Wed Sep 1 18:52:46 EDT 2010

I have done nearly 100 eMate hinge re-greasings and installation of
washers.  In almost every case in addition to the original grease
being thick and sticky I also noted some evidence of damage.  Metal
filings in the grease to some degree of the tensioning springs winding
around the hinge shaft.  This process will eventually lead to the
spring releasing and if on the display ribbon side may damage the
ribbon.

On the other hand I have seen numerous eMates that seemed to have
never been used and the hinges were in perfect condition except for
the thickening of the grease.  While I always clean and re-grease and
install a washer since the logic board must be removed to check
anyways.  Still I could understand some people choosing to simply use
a teflon oil at this point, and some have reported injecting oil
without disassembly, though I don't know how.  (any personal
experience here would be welcome)

I have never seen one of the screws come loose or be damaged in any
way.  The role of the washer is to cause the spring to wind more
tightly around the hinge shaft should the new grease age and become
sticky. If the washer is slightly bent as directed and the screw not
cross threaded on re-installation there should be no problem.

There was one report of a spring actually breaking after a washer
installation, but I don't know who did the work and perhaps the washer
was too small.  I use #6 washers, I'm sure this is not universal
sizing, but I use the largest steel washers that I can find that will
not let the head of the screw to pass through.

I have never had one fail.

Woody