[NTLK] wireless connectivity

Martin Gomez mmgomez at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 17:28:56 EDT 2010

Terrible story Frank, but it speaks well of your government... here in
Argentina we are still waiting to the police to learn what an ip adress is
:-S

At home, I use encryption = none, but hardware mac adress filtering = on, so
only 3 "known" machines can use the router. (Cloning mac adresses is a bit
far beyond hacker-wannabes knowledge, IMO)

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Michael Grossman
<ceratoph at sdf.lonestar.org>wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Sep 2010, Frank Gruendel wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 02:51:49 +0200
> > From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk at pda-soft.de>
> > To: newtontalk at newtontalk.net
> > Subject: Re: [NTLK] wireless connectivity
> >
> >> I sometimes wonder whether WPA/WEP encryption are really necessary for
> >> home networking. My wireless signal is pretty severely attenuated by the
> >
> > The following is a true story. It happened to one of my oldest and
> dearest friends.
> >
> > One morning the door bell rings. He opens the door and finds a couple of
> policemen at his doorstep.
> > They enter, confiscate his computer and leave.
> >

> Well, this is terrible! I think I'm going back to wires. I wonder what is
> the state of civil liberties in Germany, that this could happen? (I am in
> no way bragging the USA is better! Far from it...I envy your country's
> transportation system and solar energy intiatives. One might think
> Florida, with so much more sun and a mild climate, would do similar
> things....) Something like this never occurred to me. I wonder if the
> threat of such activities could spawn a whole internet liability insurance
> industry. I can imagine our blood-suckers hard at work on such a scheme in
> the US , considering our disastrous health insurance which is,
> essentially, a corporate protection racket.
>
> I do not NEED to browse USENET and email on the sofa with an ipod touch or
> newton. I think I'm going to start getting out more and just use wireless
> in cafes. No doubt the Newton will get me some funny looks!
>
> Thanks for the information and I hope your friend was able to get on with
> life after such a terrible experience.

If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the
process of putting them in.* Edsger W. Dijkstra
*