[NTLK] WTB: broken 2000/2100

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 06:28:44 EDT 2010

~~~ On 2010/09/10 00:52, Charles Mangin at option8-newton at option8.com wrote
~~~

> dang. i guess i'll have to actually complete this now...

:-))

'fraid so.  But I do hope you stick to your own plan to use a broken one,
and don't take a cue from that half-baked journalist ("This mod will
obviously add a lot of bulk to the iPhone (AND DESTROY A NEWT), but who
cares?" -- emphasis mine).  It made me feel unsettled to read something so
ignorant from someone who obviously has never had the pleasure and joy of
using a MessagePad.

Makes me wish I knew how to mod PCMCIA cards.  I'd find a way to make one
take a SIM card*, and then add a fix to plug in an earphone/microphone, and
use my Newton as my phone.

* This leads me to a question running around in my mind for ages:  what
would be the involved in cannibalizing the circuitry from a cell-phone,
complete with SIM socket, and re-arranging it within the shell of a PCMCIA
card, and then finding the right connections in the card's slot and making
such a device?

Hmmm, just reading that question to myself out loud has made me wonder how I
managed to lose my mind without noticing until now.

Sorry!

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant