[NTLK] Newton Press runs in Wine

Noah Leon moosefuel at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 15 21:14:18 EDT 2010

Hey all,
I recently tried installing NewtonPress on my Snow Leopard machine using wine (google the Darwine project). Basically, I installed the Windows version, and it runs very well under OSX 10.6. I created a few books from PDFs that I converted into Rich Text. It even recognizes page breaks on imported files. I had no problems saving pkg files and then transferring them to my newt with my old Powerbook 520.
I also tried installing NCU for Windows under Wine. The install completed successfully, however when I try to run NCU it tells me that there are no available communication ports. I'm not savvy enough to know how to get around that one. I have some windows drivers for a Xircomm USB to Mac Serial adapter, but my knowledge stops there.
Just kind of cool how well the software runs under the pretend-windows environment that is Wine. Who would have thought the Windows version of NewtonPress would outlast the mac one in usefulness, and I think speed too (faster than BasiliskII or Sheep Shaver emulators, since it runs natively on the Intel mac).
Peace.