[NTLK] C64 on app store?

James Fraser wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 07:54:17 EDT 2010

Hello,

--- On Mon, 9/20/10, Dennis B. Swaney <romad at aol.com> wrote:

> Well, here are the newly released App Store Review
> Guidelines:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/276t26a
>
> I wonder if #3.1 and #8 would be used to block a Newton
> emulator?

Thank you for posting that link.  That's a very impressive document.  And when I say "impressive," I don't mean favorably.

I particularly liked this bit near the end:

"Above all else, join us in trying to surprise and delight users.  Show them their world in innovative ways, and let them interact with it like never before."

This after -six pages- of rules and regs that directly contravene such a sentiment. :/  How is it possible to be innovative when one is so <expletive expunged> rulebound?

Sure, guidelines are nice to have, (up to a point) and I'm not saying that software development takes place in a vacuum or anything, but I think Apple may have lost sight of the fact that the more rules and regs a developer has to fret over, the more difficult their job is.  There's a point of diminishing returns for everthing, and yet Apple seems to believe that people are going to want to develop for them -no matter what.-  Well, I hope they're right for the sake of their shareholders.

I also have to wonder if the folks at Apple still earnestly view themselves as "the crazy ones," or if they're willing to admit to themselves that the Apple of 2010 increasingly resembles the IBM of 1980 (if they're not there already, that is).

Best,

James Fraser