[NTLK] Storage card specifications

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Wed Apr 6 02:12:07 EDT 2011

On 4/5/2011 11:35 PM, Bradley Loeding wrote:
> The theoretical value would be in the access time. Static RAM can be
> accessed at around 10-20ns, about 5-6 times as fast as flash, and the write
> time blows flash out of the water.
>
> But, I say theoretical because real word performance would need to take into
> account the latency in the other parts of the Newton's subsystem. As I've no
> experience with SRAM storage in a Newton, it would be interesting to find
> out if it improved the user experience with many packages installed at all.

I have a few SRAM cards.  Most of them 1mb another one 2mb.  8mb is not
seen very often and considering that I have seen 2mb cards go for over
100USD 200 is not bad considering the storage size.  I like my SRAM
cards, I use them for data that changes a lot to save my flash as we
know flash has a limited number of write cycles.  The speed is a little
faster, but only if you are looking for it.  Generally saving on the
newton is instant anyway.  Only when you are loading packages do you
notice a difference, but the real bottle neck with most newton-desktop
connections is the serial limitaitons (the card will save in the blink
of a eye but the data coming from the PC is a micro soda straw).  Unless
you have something that gets around this, such as wireless or wired
eithernet.

-Dan