[NTLK] Storage card specifications

Rusty Miles Rusty.Miles at tn.gov
Thu Apr 7 18:06:54 EDT 2011

OK, I think the light finally came on.  I'm gonna claim that the section on the site that was describing the INTEL Series 2+ confused me by listing 12V in the specs but not including the MP100 in the compatibility list...  or I could just admit to being thick.

Other than the comparison points on the site mentioned (expense, write speed, capacity, batteries) are there any other advantages to SRAM over Flash?  Seems I remember seeing somewhere that one or the other (or maybe both) of these types of memory were only good for a finite number of operations (maybe that's true of all RAM).  In other words they eventually wear out, but maybe not quickly enough to be an issue.

Thanks yet again.
-Rusty

>>> Dan <dan at dbdigitalweb.com> 4/7/2011 4:15 PM >>>
Welcome.  As for the site I referenced it does say quite clearly that
linear Flash 12v write works in all newtons.  However while you can read
12 volt cards in emates you can't write to them.  For example:

Newton 2MB Flash Storage Card, P/N: H0008LL/A (for all MessagePad
models, eMate: read only)  This is a 12v card

Newton 4MB Flash Storage Card, P/N: H0230LL/A (for MessagePad 120 (2.0),
130, 2000, 2100, eMate) this is a 5v card.

The cards above were actually made by Apple for Newtons.  They can all
write to 12v cards.  Emates can only use 5v or 3v cards.  Newton 2.0 can
use 12v, 5v, and 3v cards (with the exception of emates which I just
mentioned).  Newton 1.x can only use 12v write Flash cards.

With regard to attribute memory, correct the site does not mention that.
However up until a few years ago almost all cards had the attribute
memory.  Now newer electronics don't need it to function.  But most
older equipment still does.

As for rechargeable vs replaceable batteries in SRAM cards, I would get
replaceable if the option is available.  Yes it does take power from the
newton to charge the batteries.  However the newton does not have to be
on to do this.  But I would not get one with a rechargeable battery for
the simple reason as they will fail in time.  Disposable SRAM batteries
last a LONG time and are easily replaced as well.  Heck I have a Apple
SRAM card that I have never replaced the battery for and it is still
going strong (which I have owned since late 90's).  Although I might do
it soon just for the sake of its age.  The length of time that a normal
battery will last in a SRAM card will vary.  I have one card that uses
them up more quickly, but then again it still took almost 8 years to do
so. :)

By the way, here is a trick with replacing batteries in SRAM cards: have
the card plugged into your newton while you replace the battery, then
you won't loose any data.  Some cards have a capacitor to keep the
charge going for a few minutes while you replace the battery (oddly
enough they often called it the backup battery), but not all have this
feature.  So unless you have your card backed up, it is best to play it
safe.

-Dan