[NTLK] Newton 120

R A Parker RAParker at Newted.ORG
Thu Aug 11 23:41:00 EDT 2011

Hello (again) Lloyd!

Yes, you can do email on a MessagePad 120. I was doing exactly that with my first Newton. However, the devil is in the details.

What you need:
A) GoFetch v1.26 (UNNA)
B) PCMCIA modem (eBay)
C) Unix dial-up shell access account

OK... the first two items are probably easy. The third item might stop the average Newton user. Of course, most Newton users are above average.

The 120 can't do wireless nor can it use an ethernet card. NIE is (not completely) out of the question. But, dial-up is your only option.

GoFetch is essentially the only usable email software available that can still send and receive email using an MP120. It does this using a dial-up shell login (a Unix account with a shell access). Then, Gofetch uses the telnet protocol to communicate with the internet mail servers. Almost VPN like, but text only.

Shell accounts are still available from some ISPs. My guess is they will become rarer and rarer as many systems increase security.

You can, if you are brave , roll your own shell access. In that case you will need to add:

D) BSD Unix PC with a modem and ethernet card (used $25.00)
E) Spare phone line (add $15.00/mo?)
F) A basic knowlege of UNIX configs and commands.

The other factor is storage space. With a modem in your only PCMCIA slot, your setup becomes tight, but doable. There are strategies that can be used that work around that limitation.

I did it. It was fun until I got an MP2100. Wireless email was a game changer for me.

Best regards,

Ron A. Parker

On Tuesday, August 9, 2011 at 10:27 am Lloyd Conway wrote:

> I'm soon to become the proud owner
> of a Newton 120.  It'll be my
> third Newt,

, and... Has anyone had positive

--
Sent using Mail V and a Wireless Newton 2100.
--
   |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM