[NTLK] Lady Pismo

Lloyd Conway doc_retro at juno.com
Sat Aug 20 16:15:06 EDT 2011

Hello, Christian:
      The Pismo is a lovely machine, and one that you could feel attachment
to, as opposed to the efficient but utilitarian MacBook, such as we both
own.  One might compare them to a Studebaker Avanti vs. a Chevy Cavalier.
The Stude may be old and parts hard to find, but the sheer driving pleasure
far excels the practical virtues of the plain-Jane Chevy.  (Charles Moore
over at www.lowenfmac.com and I have had a couple of exchanges along these
lines recently, as well.)
    I had a Pismo and regret parting with it.  The DVD drive went bad, and
when I mentioned to my wife that I'd need to buy another part, she suggested
getting a new computer.  (When Mrs. Conway tells me that I can spend money
on tech, I act before she can change her mind.)  part of the deal was
selling the G4-upgraded Pismo to help recoup costs.
      The Dell Inspirion came with Ubuntu Linux installed on it, and
that was
interesting, but I'm not geek enough to handle serious crashes, and Dell has
no tech support, just a long-distance psychological waterboarding unit, so I
sold that and got the MacBook.  It's good enough, but, like you, I would
regret only monetary and data loss if something happened to it.
    You're right about the Pismo's durability.  for that matter, my
PowerBook
1400 was tough, and I feel confident that my 11 y/o daughter's '1400 will
long outlast her interest in it.  The first Wallstreet I bought was for a
church mission project to Haiti, and I thought that the old girl would have
the best chance to survive use in an orphanage in such a harsh environment.
    Your Pismo field adventures are something.  I'd not normally want to
field-strip a computer in the wild and hope for it to work afterward.  For
that, I commend you.  Putting your 'Lady Pismo' out to pasture is probably
the prudent thing, as you correctly note that parts are becoming scarce and
expensive.  Better to risk a commodity computer like a MacBook than a
classic like any of the G3 PowerBooks, Apple's best expression of the
portable co mputer form (Newts aside) to date.
   I hope that your Pismos remain in service for many years to come.
Regards,
-Lloyd
  (Sent from my Wallstreet)

For what it's worth Lloyd, although I have a 2008 black MacBook for going on
the road, I still prefer my Pismos, one in particular that I regard as my
"real" computer.  I retired Lady Pismo ...

So except for high-end processing which the G3s do struggle with, I suspect
you'll find your Wall Street is still wonderful.

Shalom.

Christian

--
http://myworld.ebay.com/doc_retro/?_trksid=p4340.l2559