[NTLK] write to Tim Cook

G Y gyounk at mac512.com
Sat Dec 3 07:17:57 EST 2011

I appreciate the comments from the group in response to my statement. I worded it exactly that way to see the purpose of why people were wanting to port Einstein to Android. I did receive some negative responses (that was expected) and many thoughtful responses. I do have a more clear definition of what the NewtonTalk group is wanting to do.

List members want:
- The Newton OS on modern hardware (so when they cannot get replacement parts for their Newton hardware)
- Are passionate about Newton OS in general.
- Are passionate about other hardware and software that is available at their disposal.

I fully understand that with iOS devices it is difficult to replace the OS without jailbreaking the device.

Christian's response below did really outline the real problem. Even though iOS has handwriting recognition writing apps available, no app developer has made to put that technology to a suite including a calendar, vector drawing mode, spreadsheets, and contacts. Of course Apple has chosen right now to not implement an OS layer of HWR in iOS  and most likely won't.

Some great suggestions that came out includes:
- Some want to turn Einstein (which is a fabulous piece of software that was created!) into more than an app.
- Some want to turn existing phones/tablets and run Einstein as just an app so modern functionality (phone, video, etc). are not lost.
- Some want it to just be an app on Android.
- Some don't want people to forget about those who still want to run Einstein on iOS.
All of these points are valid. I also have a better understanding now of where the NewtonTalk list is wanting to proceed towards.

Don't forget that I too am a Newtonian just like all of you. I still have working Newton devices that I use a lot, started with the original MessagePad when it was available for sale through retail since year 1. Now I use it mainly to show people where technology was in the 1990's and they are always amazed why their device cannot do HWR like Newton can.

Thanks for the great discussion.

Sincerely,
G.