[NTLK] Notepad that isn't for NOS

Warren Ockrassa wockrassa at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 11:45:05 EST 2011

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Tony Kan <tony.kan at clear.net.nz> wrote:
> Hi Warwick

Warwick? Nay. Wicket W. Warrick. ;)

> Scroller:
> http://www.unna.org/view.php?/utilites/notes_enhancements/Scroller
> NotesSlider is another scroller:  http://newton.tek-ed.com/

Interesting. I think what I'm looking for is more of a 'typewriter'
functionality, sort of like what you get in Scrivener for desktop
(OSX). What that does is center the active line on the page, rather
than have it at the bottom.

That is, if you're typing a nice long message, or a chapter in a book,
in many word processors the cursor keeps getting shoved farther and
farther down the screen, until it's at the bottom of the window.
Thereafter the view scrolls as you add new lines.

In 'typewriter' mode, the input line stays centered in the view. Below
it, all there is to see is the empty document window. Above it, of
course, is your text you've entered so far. It adds a typewriter like
feel to the document, and for some reason it's a much more satisfying
way for me to write. Apparently I'm not the only one - a lot of
writers' tools are beginning to add that view style now.

That's sort of what I have in mind for Newt. Something that is smart
enough to keep the active input part of a note (or notelike text) in
the upper half of the screen, leaving the lower half clear for me to
keep scrawling my chicken scratch. That way I don't have to stop and
scroll down.

> BiggerNotes: http://www.kallisys.com/files/newton/Utils/BiggerNotes-1.0.zip

Oho. You tha' bomb. Thanks!

--