[NTLK] USB-001 and cracked case

Frank Gruendel newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Sun Dec 18 13:58:25 EST 2011

> There has been some talk about the USB-001 Cracking cases.  This is the
> first we at NewtonSales.com have ever heard of it.

On December 1, 2011, someone posted the following to NewtonTalk:

     My UMP2000 case is doing the same due
     to the USB board and my clumsiness.

On December 2, 2011, a different person posted the following to NewtonTalk:

     RE: USB-001 cracking Newton casing
     Yep! That happened to me two. The crack
     grew to 2" before I thought to loosen the
     top screws on the casing. it might be an
     idea for KnowledgeNavigator to warn customers
     to do this.

> It is our belief that this is simply an attempt to create FUD to prevent
> the sale of the board.

This is what I wrote:

    I'm currently trying to figure out the reason
    for this problem and (hopefully) a solution

I do not see how this can possibly come across as wanting to instill (F)ear,
(U)ncertainty or (D)oubt. I still think it conveys that I am trying to
figure out the reason for a problem and (hopefully) provide a solution. My
solution for preventing cracks caused by the serial board has saved at least
a couple of dozens of Newton cases.

But, alas, I'm not a native English speaker. So if this phrase actually DID
convey FUD, I sincerely apologize. People who have been on this list for
more than a couple of days will be aware that it's not my nature to convey
any of the three. Most of my web site's content has always been dedicated to
PREVENTING them. Just like the detailed USB-001 review that'll be published
once I've finished dealing with a real or imaginary threat of developing
cracks.

My old teacher always said: "Don't expect people to notice the obvious!".

To that I plead guilty. I considered (and still consider) it obvious that
spending time on figuring out a solution for this problem would be a stupid
waste of my and others' time if my intention was preventing USB-001 boards
from being sold.

Frank