[NTLK] A lot of Newton questions. Mail, PIM and more

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Fri Dec 23 12:58:29 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Vladislav Korotnev
<vladkorotnev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Recently I've got a MP2100 (thanks to Frank Gruendel) and I found out that it's actually more Internet-capable and portable than my eMate. But I think it can be more useful, so I want to ask you a few questions:
>
> • What is the best calendar app for the Newton (managing appointments, etc.)?

I personally use the built-in Dates, but many people swear by either
MoreInfo or DateMan:

<http://www.silverwaresoftware.com/MoreInfo.shtml>
<http://standalone.com/MessagePad/DateMan/>

> • What is the best ToDo list app for the Newton?

I love Adam Tow's newtToDo <http://www.tow.com/software/newton/> and
use it for my personal GTD (Getting Things Done) implementation.

Adam Tow's HyperNewt <http://www.tow.com/software/newton/> will do this.

> • An app that will allow me to use ICQ, AIM, Google talk. BTW, is ChatBuddy IRC client available for registration, is it free/abandonware now?

The AIM client uses old protocols and so no longer works, although its
source code was released to the public.

There are a couple Jabber clients on UNNA.org
<http://www.unna.org/view.php?/internet>, but I don't recall which
works. Unfortunately, none will work with Google Talk due to lack of
SSL support for Newton OS.

> • Is it possible to use Gmail IMAP on the Newton? Any workarounds?
> • How to set up wireless syncing to NCX? (Currently I have to use Escale, and I'm going to make it work on intel as well)
> • A VNC server/client for the Newton would be useful too

NCX includes a DockTCP.pkg, IIRC, which can be used to give
ethernet/EtherTalk support. This works over WiFi as well, so you just
need a compatible 802.11b PCMCIA card, Hiroshi's WaveLAN drivers
<http://www.drvlabo.jp/old/eng/newtwave.htm>, and to configure it WiFi
& TCP on your Newton. Obviously, I'm greatly simplifying this process,
but let us know if you go this route and need assistance.

> • What is the best web browser for the Newton? The one that, preferably, can display images, install packages, display cyrillic characters (though I doubt it's possible at all).

I personally preferred NetHopper
<http://www.unna.org/view.php?/internet/web-browsers/NetHopper3.2> and
Daniel Padilla's ZNHPatch.pkg & NHCharsets.pkg plug-ins
<http://dev.newtontalk.net/dpadilla/progs.htm> for when image/form
supports is needed. Otherwise, Eckhart Köppen's Courier
<http://40hz.org/Pages/Courier> is best for speed & reading. While
both can support UTF-8, I'm not sure whether they will fully/correctly
render cyrillic characters.

Hope this helps you get started.

Morgan
---