[NTLK] NewtonTalk Digest, Vol 27, Issue 38

Warren Ockrassa wockrassa at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 22:56:24 EST 2011

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM, DPROLDAN at telefonica.net
<DPROLDAN at telefonica.net> wrote:

>  I've been reading about your issues, Warren.    One word,   ViewFrame.   Install it and its plugins and you'll get to the core of the Newton in no time.  I'm going out of lurking/digest mode and try to help you guys as much as I can,  so ask away.

Funny you mention that one - I found it on UNNA a couple days ago but
haven't installed it yet.

Thanks very much for the offer. Where I'm running into the most
trouble is in messaging between frames - it seems that some don't
receive anything I've sent, such as in the case of a 'status' field I
put into my test program to let me know where in the code I was/was
not getting into trouble. If the field updated at all, it was only
after I'd forced a refresh by tapping in it.

More importantly, though, I need to (1) store and retrieve text (not
rich text or ink) in a soup - possibly in the notepad soup; (2) load
that text into a scrollable field - I've got that part working fairly
well now, actually; and (3) be able to figure out where the last line
is as text is being entered, basically a live tracking of the Y
location of the text field as its content grows. The idea is to keep
the bottom half of the screen clear with the input cursor in about the
vertical center, and the entered text above that.

If there are some functions that let me determine text height, and set
the cursor/caret location based on that, or even calculate the Y
offset for the height of the text area, I think that would be what I'm
looking for. That's my current roadblock. I've looked through what I
*think* are the relevant chapters in the programmer's guide and the
programmer's reference, but I'm clearly missing something.

I *believe* I was going in the wrong direction with clParagraphView,
which I was creating in the NTK, rather than dynamically at runtime -
apparently creating it dynamically is the only real way to make it
editable. Sigh.

--
-- Warren Ockrassa | nightwares.com