[NTLK] List Archive prior to November 2009

Andy Hill adhill at fastmail.co.uk
Fri Feb 11 04:29:18 EST 2011

Grant and Morgan

As ever, thank you so much for all your endeavours. Without you there is
no list!

Could you comment on the following for my own interest re the searchable
list:

http://marc.info/?l=newtontalk&r=1&w=2

1.  When using the searchable archives through what time period is the
search conducted and are there any dates of entries that would not be
included?

2. Looking at the searchable archives  without putting an entry in the
search field the records seem to go back to 1996 but the large number of
entries start in July and August 2001. The greatest activity seemed to
be between 2001 and 2002 when there were between 2000 and 3000 entries
per month,  then it gradually tailed off to 2005 when there were around
1000 entries per month, and then tailed right off to between 100 and 200
entries per month since . Are these numbers a true reflection of the
actual activity or will some not have been included?

3. In lay terms, are the items shown before 2009 using the above link
the same as the static items you said are currently not included, or
when the static items are included at some point, would future searches
reveal greater results?

4. Lastly....do you know when and how did the list come about? Was it
created by a single person or a group, corporately supported or always
through volunteers, how did it get going in the first place?

Thank you.

Andy