[NTLK] NewtonOS ROM Source Code

Rod Lavington rodlavo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 01:28:29 EST 2011

What would it take to grab something like the Android source as a base, then
adapting a Newton-style UI and data sharing model to it?  Would that be a
better option, a roll-your-own Newt?

On 14/02/2011 2:21 PM, "Larry Yaeger" <lsynt3 at beanblossom.in.us> wrote:

At 10:51 PM -0500 2/13/11, Charles Mangin wrote:
>most (hell, all) of this thread is over my head, b...
The problem would be cross-compiling to a different chip, which is what
would be needed to run the code on anything other than the original ARM
chips.  But, then, assembly languages tend to have a lot in common from one
CPU to another.  I could imagine a cross-compilation being successfully
attempted, but it would be a pretty monumental effort.  One of the hardest
parts would be driver issues, but I think the Einstein team has largely
dealt with those.  It could never be distributed legally, but usenet and
torrents exist...  And it would run at native speed on modern processors.
 It would be awesome, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

- larryy