[NTLK] Visiting the Apple Store with my Newts

Stephan Weber ashkelon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 21:03:06 EST 2011

I've several times visited the Apple store when buying accessories for my
kids' ipods, etc. And like many of you I keep track of my notes and my life
on the 2100 or the emate, whichever is along for the ride that day. I get
the same reaction from the employees, and often from other shoppers. The
last time I was in Best Buy, I had a younger guy ask if he could look at it
and his hands literally shook when he was holding it.

I guess he had the same response to the Newt that I had to my first GRiD --
I just couldn't believe I actually was holding it. If I wasn't down to two
emates (both converted to rechargeables and hinge-fixed and two upgrated
2100's, I would have offered him one.

I'm always a bit surprised at the number of people who know exactly what
they are and are very excited to see them. I can't think of any other
technology I own that elicits the recognition the Newts do.

And for the guys who mock the brick, about a minute of exploring how good
the handwriting recognition is with no training, and another couple to find
out how intuitive it is, and they don't really want to give it back.

--
The Masters don't give orders;
they work with everybody else.