[NTLK] Newts in public and usage

Stephan Weber ashkelon at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 14:24:18 EST 2011

Just a few thoughts....

A pad of paper might be lighter, but when I carry any of my machines, I'm
carrying MUCH more than a pad of paper -- I've got a whole library, and
calendar, contacts, lists, references, et al.

And it's backlighted, which few pads of paper are.

I'm not a one-finger typist, I've been touch typing since I was... 5? So I
find using any sort of "tap" keyboard annoying beyond belief.

When I flip open the 2100, or even the emate, I write, simply. Just like on
paper, yes, but with so much more.

Typically, I find the device very unobtrusive except in specific places,
like tech venues. I rarely get noticed in stores, etc.

I have a couple of Motion Computing Slates. I love them. The handwriting
recognition is pretty well done, and at this point is intuitive for me, and
they are lightweight, but full PCs, so I have all of  the applications I do
on any of my PCs. In a leather flip folder, they are absolutely as
unobtrusive as one could wish.

Much less so that the Mac Air you mention... however...

They have less battery life than the newt. They are bulky in their own ways.
They have boot or load times, even when just "sleeping".

To each their own, but I've got a lot of choice in tools, and the newt is a
form factor that works, with simple, elegant applications that still work
for what I need, that "pile of drek" on my desk, swept into one small box
that's still large enough to read, reliable enough to never lose my data
always "on".

And not least, I do not like "smearing" my fingers all over the screen.
Until the "crunk factor" is solved (and I have extremely dry, non-oily or
sweaty hands) I will steer clear of "kiosk controls" on my devices other
than off-screen touchpads.

-- Message: 9