[NTLK] G3 Death

Frank Gruendel newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Mon Jan 3 17:31:40 EST 2011

I'm not sure it this series of Mac notebooks has a PRAM battery at all. I
dimly remember Apple used something that's rechargeable. It can be replaced,
but not as cheaply as if all you'd need was a new battery.

This rechargeable thingie causes problems if the main battery is dead and
the Mac hasn't been attached to an AC adapter for a longer time.

What your describe used to happen to my Pismo occasionally when the battery
pack was so bad that it discharged within a couple of days.

The road to success always starts at removing the keyboard. When you do
this, you'll see a small connector that's close to the keyboard's top key
row (well, where the keys would be if the keyboard wasn't removed). This
connector has two or three wires (I'm not absolutely sure, but I think it
has two). Remove the AC adapter, remove the main battery. Then unplug this
connector, wait a couple of minutes and put it back. Plug the AC adapter in
and try to start the Mac. With my Pismo, this solved the problem every time.
The connector, if I recall correctly, is connected to the rechargeable
thingie or to something very closely related to it.

Frank