[NTLK] Copy packages

R A Parker RAParker at Newted.ORG
Sat Mar 5 10:09:46 EST 2011

Hi Doug:

The Newton treats storage like a unified (extendable) database. Once a package installed, it can only be moved from one store (internal to external, card to card, etc.) to another, and not copied.

There are a few ways around this. One method is by using the InOut Box. When you beam a package, receive a beamed package, or download a file from the Internet, the package will be stored in the InOut Box, much like a binary attachment in an e-mail. From there, you can "Put Away" the package to any store, without deleting it.

I make Lender cards this way. The only caveat is that you need two Newtons (to beam to each other) or you need a Network connection to download files using Newt's Cape. You have to "Receive" the package to be able to store it. "Sending" a package only stores a "pointer" (to the actual data package on the store within the InOut Box) and does not actually copy the package to the OutBox.

Another method involves the card backup system. When you make a backup of the internal store using an external card, the packages are stored on the external card in a backup file. You can then restore packages individually from the card backup, to the internal store again.

--
Sent using an iNewt Touch 3GS
--
   |\ |   @ TahoeSunsets.COM