[NTLK] [OT] Earthquake in Japan, was: Another Christchurch Earthquake

Abraham Limpo abraham at familialimpo.net
Sat Mar 12 07:06:59 EST 2011

What I fear is that recently, the M<8 earthquakes are more frequent. I was
taught 20 years ago that earthquakes with magnitudes bigger than 8 should be
no more than one at a year...but looking at the records, the last time a
decade was so active was in the 60's... and culminated with a 9'5
earthquake. Just for example: 2001 1M8, 2002 0M8 (but there was the Alaska
one, measuring M7.9), 2003 1M8, 2004 1M8,1M9 (indian ocean earthquake); 2005
1M8; 2006, 2 M8 ; 2007 4 M8; 2008 1 M8 (the sichuan earthquake); 2009 1 M8;
2010 1M8; 2011 1M9

I can only hope that japan's was the largest and that we will have some rest
after that...