[NTLK] USB-001

Frank Gruendel newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Sun Mar 13 12:24:43 EDT 2011

> there are two screw holes to mount the board however in testing we
> didnt find these to be necessary as the connector itself does provide
> a firm method of fixing the board into the newton.

If it was my Newton, I'd make sure to use these screw holes. Admittedly the
insertion force of an USB connector is not that high. But if the USB-001 is
built the way the SER-001 is, all insertion force would end up as shearing
strain at the mainboard connector unless you fasten the board to the
mainboard. That's not much different from the problem with torn-off
interconnect ports. Why take a risk?

Frank