[NTLK] USB-001

Andrei Chichak newton at chichak.ca
Sun Mar 13 14:23:54 EDT 2011

On 2011-March-13, at 11:32 AM, Dennis B. Swaney wrote:

> On 13/03/11 09:24PDT, Frank Gruendel wrote:
>>> there are two screw holes to mount the board however in testing we
>>> didnt find these to be necessary as the connector itself does provide
>>> a firm method of fixing the board into the newton.
>>
>> If it was my Newton, I'd make sure to use these screw holes. Admittedly the
>> insertion force of an USB connector is not that high. But if the USB-001 is
>> built the way the SER-001 is, all insertion force would end up as shearing
>> strain at the mainboard connector unless you fasten the board to the
>> mainboard. That's not much different from the problem with torn-off
>> interconnect ports. Why take a risk?
>>

> What size and type screws would you recommend? How much space is there
> between the back of the board and the case?

If I remember my measurements properly, it should be a #2 thread forming screw, but any thread will do. I can go down to "The Pit of Despair" and look at my notes if you wish.

The back clearance is minimal. I measured it using the plasticine method and quickly figured out why the previous serial comm boards were causing cracks in the case back shell. I went for some countersunk screws and there was a bit of clearance.

Now, if I could only figure out what to do with the 300 mainboard plugs that I bought...