[NTLK] HWR and the Art of Thinking

Lloyd Conway ssgconway at juno.com
Thu Mar 31 18:23:14 EDT 2011

    Thanks to all who responded to my post.  While I expect that the website, which I found through a link from another website which referenced the article, is selling stuff, most websites are.  (Gopher is commercial-free, and that's one of the reasons that I enjoy visiting Gopherspace from time to time:  Information without graphics, commercials, etc.  It is refreshing, even if little used.)
    What attracted me to the story was the intuitive sense it made to me.  I was a prolific writer with Bic 1.0, but I have always found typing to be laborious, at best.  I never have the feeling of putting thoughts down naturally with a keyboard as I do with a pen or stylus.  (I used to own fountain pens, BTW, but haven't had one in several years.) It's just more natural, and I suspect that has something to do with the brain stimulation credited to the act of writing.
      At any event, I thought that this audience would find the piece to be...stimulating.
Regards,
-Lloyd Conway
  Charlotte, Michigan

"The site is marketing products but they are right about the research.  It does
show that learning and using handwriting fosters better cognitive ability.
There's also a lot of research that positively links the development of motor
skills and cognitive ability.  See
http://myapplenewton.blogspot.com/2010/06/psychology-of-handwriting.html

But sadly educators are thinking that handwriting is being replaced by keyboards
and so they are forecasting a day when they will no longer teach it.  Of course
that just accelerates the trend.  And the children are robbed.

Often people just gauge whether or not they will use handwriting based on time
efficiency alone.  See
http://myapplenewton.blogspot.com/2010/01/text-entry-speed-face-off.html.  ButRe:RE: HWR and the Art of Thinking
we Newton users know that is so much more than that."

Cheers

Tony Kan

Christchurch
New Zealand