[NTLK] HTC Flyer review from Engadget

Steven Frank stevenfrank880 at gmail.com
Sat May 21 16:20:00 EDT 2011

So, I tracked down an HTC Flyer at Best Buy last night.  It's actually
a pretty damn nice tablet.  I should probably write up a little review
for you guys in a day or two.  But here's some interesting tidbits:

- No HWR at all (but I knew this going in).  It doesn't work like a
Newton, so don't get your hopes up.

- In fact, the pen (which is sold separately) has only two purposes at
this time:

	1. By tapping, you can snapshot any screen and annotate it.
	2. A custom built Notes app which accepts a combination of text and
ink, and syncs with the Evernote service

- The pen cannot actually be used to drive the interface -- just
inking.  All other on-screen interaction is touch based.

- Pen requires one AAAA (quadruple A) battery.

- There is no silo or storage for the pen on the unit itself.

- HTC does an impressive amount of customization on top of stock
Android, and it's not all bad.  It has, for instance, the best IMAP
email client I've ever seen on an Android device.

Q&A?

Steven