[NTLK] MessagePad 2000: newbie questions

Frank Gruendel newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Sun May 22 15:58:00 EDT 2011

> I'm new to Newton

Welcome here!

> Does anyone know if I can install the WiFi driver package from
> UNNA onto the memory card using the eMate then put the card into
> the MP2000 to enable the package on that device?

If you can write to the card using your eMate, this should be possible.

> The emate seems to check memory cards for packages before activating
> them each time it reboots. I wondered if a MP would do the same.

Yes, it would.

> If so, would this remove the need for a serial dongle by providing an
> alternative means of connecting (over WiFi TCP/IP) to a Mac using NCX,
> NewtSync or NewTen?

I do think it would, but I have no personal experience with either of these
three and a Mac.

> The MP2000 unit arrived with all the screws for it's backplate missing
> (no complaints as it was a bargain bin type sale). Does anyone know the
> screw specifications so that I can buy some new ones from a PC parts shop?

If you haven't resolved this already, just let me know your snail mail
address and I'll send you these screws free of charge. Might take a day or
two to reach you since they'd come from Germany. You might want to make sure
that no additional screws are missing inside the Netwon. Wouldn't be any
problem to send you those, too :-)

> Has any Newton user in the UK found a place that can re-cell the MP2000
battery pack?

An excellent place to do so is your kitchen table...

	<http://www.pda-soft.de/mp2k_battery_pack.html>

Regards

Frank