[NTLK] NewtonTalk Digest, Vol 26, Issue 3

Tobias Strohe tstrohe at JGJOHNSON.com
Sun Nov 6 12:15:39 EST 2011

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 19:34:38 -0500
> From: Davis Remmel <davis.remmel at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] MP2x00 Battery Tray STL - 3D Printing
> To: newtontalk at newtontalk.net
>
> On 11/5/2011 12:40, Lord Groundhog wrote:
>
>> Assuming this works, have you any idea what kind of price point we're
>> looking at for this mode of production?  I ask because I doubt that I'm the
>> only one thinking this could be a solution to the problem of replacing the
>> door (or whatever we should call it) on the MP2100, to protect the screen.
>> But affordability is going to play a r?le here.
>
> Hopefully, some form of crowdsourcing can be initiated with Newton
> community members, or supporters, who have access to rapid prototyping
> machines.  Theoretically, the price of these trays will be next to
> nothing (cost of plastic + shipping + manufacturing tip).  These parts
> shouldn't be sold at a profit, because that's just not kind. :)
>
> In addition, the economics of this system should also be hypothesized:
> if the current market is flooded with inexpensive parts that work just
> as well as official ones, those first party parts are going to drop in
> price significantly to stay competitive.  Everything will become more
> affordable.
>
> Not only will things become more affordable, but I believe they will
> become better, too.  Take the battery tray, for instance.  The original
> one had to be designed with mass manufacturing constraints in mind.  The
> two rectangular holes on the side were made by metal arms that pushed
> upwards to form the 'clip' curvature.  These holes, for me, were a point
> of weakness which caused my tray to break.  Since that method of
> manufacturing isn't going to be used, these holes can be omitted, thus
> strengthening the part.
>
> Right now, I'm working to model the entire 2x00 body.  However, the
> 'screen protecting door' has a spring component which will be difficult
> to replicate.  In the end, I'll probably end up implementing some
> locking latch system.  It won't be better than the spring, but it might
> come close.
>
> --
> Davis Remmel

Having had architectural models 3d-printed I can say that it should not cost very much at all. AFAIK there are 2 different technologies available:
One uses a powder, the other some sort of plastic material. The powder provides better detail but is less resistant and probably not tough enough for the suggested application. It should however be very reasonable cost as it is charged by volume of the printed product. An Architectural Model that used probably 10-20 times the material cost only a little over $100. I am not sure how much it would cost to print in the other process, but if you are willing to send me the model (is it SketchUp by chance?) I would get an estimate from the repro-firm I worked with.

Tobias (tstrohe at gmail.com)